University Archives Policy
The mission of the University Archives is to collect, arrange, describe, preserve and make accessible University College records of permanent, historical, and administrative value and to disseminate information about the holdings of the Archives through research, campus publications, exhibits, and online resources. The ultimate goal of the Archives is to create a permanent, living record of the historical heritage of the University's unique role in the development and evolution of continuing and adult education.
Definition of Records
All documents created or used in the course of University College business are institutional records, and as such are the property of University College .
- The University Archives will serve all patrons with a legitimate use of the materials, including students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and off-campus researchers.
- Arrangements will be made to view archival materials.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Archives.
- Pencils only can be used to take notes. Ink is not permitted.
- Archives materials do not circulate, except through special permission via the University Archivist or ILS Associate Provost. All materials are used within the Archives facility.
- After completing the request form, routine requests for basic factual information contained in such publications as catalogs, Commencement programs, and other university publications will be filled within 48-72 hours of request.
- In-depth requests by non-UMUC patrons for information contained in non-published materials or copies of photographs, will require a detailed outline of purpose and special permission from the President of the University to use the materials. Those materials that are considered sensitive will not be available to anyone without special permission from the President. Any access restrictions on collection materials as instructed by the donor will be respected. Photocopies of materials can be made on a selective basis, upon approval by the University Archivist or ILS Associate Provost, by ILS staff and such requests will be filled within one week of approved request.
- Copyright permission must be taken into account when publishing research conducted in the University Archives.
NOTE: The Archives will NOT house financial, student, or faculty records. Disposition and relocation of these records will be determined by the records retention schedules established by the University of Maryland System in conjunction with the University College records manager .